Discover a new, gentle and predictable approach to labour induction
Safe and gentle
Predictable 12 hour action
Excellent feedback on comfort
Effective cervical ripening
What is Dilapan-S®?
Dilapan-S® is a small dilator which helps soften and open (‘dilate’) your cervix to prepare you for your labour induciton in a gentle and natural way. The dilators are inserted into your cervix which grow in size over 12 hours.
This mechanical dilation involves no drugs or artificial hormones allowing safer, predictable and efficient cervical dilation. Because Dilapan-S® does not contain any pharmacological substances, the risk of hyperstimulation and fetal distress during the cervical ripening phase is low.
Dilapan-S® is also used for outpatients inductions so you may be able to go home whilst Dilapan-S® is in place.
Ask your doctor or midwife at your next appointment to find out if your hospital offers Dilapan-S®.
How does Dilapan-S® work?
The Dilapan-S® dilators are made of a firm gel which attracts water when they are in your cervix, so they gradually increase in size. The expanding dilators also help your body release natural hormones to further prepare you for labour.
The thin 4 mm rod can expand up to 15 mm over 12-24 hours. This allows it to gently dilate and soften the cervix. Usually a set of 3–5 dilators are used to ripen your cervix sufficiently and make you ready for your labour.
- Non-pharmaceutical, gentle and predictable
- Safe for all inductions, including women that have had a previous caesarean section
- Reduced risk of hyperstimulation (excessive womb contractions)
- Suitable option for outpatient inductions
- Dilators are latex-free and contain no animal product
- Option for outpatient induction if your hospital allows
- Can be used whether it is your 1st, 2nd or 3rd induction