Osmotic dilator for cervical preparation in Gynaecology
Safe, gentle and predictable
Effective cervical priming
4-6 hours mechanism
Cost effective: 1-day procedures
✔ Recommended in NICE NG140 guidelines
✔ Wide range of applications e.g. prior to TOP, ET, Hysteroscopy
✔ Shorterns hospital stays4
✔ Allows same day D&E prodcedures1,2
✔ Easy to insert and remove
Enquire about Dilapan-S®
What is Dilapan-S®?
Dilapan-S® is an osmotic cervical dilator with applications in both gynaecology and obstetrics. It is made of synthetic hygroscopic gel which absorbs fluid from the cervical canal tissue to temporarily dehydrate and dilate the cervix without causing tissue damage.
How does Dilapan-S® work?
- Mechanical: as the rods expand, the apply gentle pressure to the cervical wall over a 4-6 hour period. This allows atraumatic, predictable and and efficient dilation.
- Biophysical: By the process of osmosis, Dilapan-S rods temporarily dehydrate the cervical tissue
- Physiological: During expansion, it promotes softening of the cervix, causing collagen degradation and tissue restructuring.
- In gynaecology, osmotic cervical dilation is recommended for surgical termination of pregnancy (between 14+0 and 23+6 weeks) in the NICE Guidelines (NG140).
- Cervical preparation with Dilapan-S® also enables easier embryo transfer during assisted reproduction and facilitates other procedures (e.g, hysteroscopy) which require access to the intrauterine cavity for insertion and removal of devices.
- Dilapan-S® is available in a range of sizes for different procedures.
Dilapan-S avoids unwanted pharmaceutical side effects such as nausea, vomiting and cramping.
The mode of action is atraumatic, significantly reducing the risk of cervical injury and importantly maintains the full functionality of the cervix for future pregnancies.
Minimise the risk of uncontrolled abortions e.g. during the night.
Enabling one day procedures reduces the length of stay and therefore produces cost savings.
Over 90% of clinicians found Dilapan-S easy to insert and remove.
Dilapan-S is latex free and contains no animal product.
4mm x 65mm is the appropriate length for TOP, slightly longer than the length used for IOL due to the longer cervix at the earlier gestations.
- 4mmx65mm for cervical priming in TOP – Sold in boxes of 25. Product code DS000-4X65
- 3mmx65mm for difficult embryo transfers – Sold in boxes of 25. Product code –DS000-3X55
- Dilapan-S is stored at room temperature and has minimum shelve life of 2 years.
- Each rod is individually packaged and sterilised.
Please fill in the fields below to view the paper