>90% first time ripening success
Safe and gentle
12 hour dilation
Excellent patient comfort
✔ One round of ripening sufficient in >90% of patients1,2
✔ Licensed for all inductions including VBACs
✔ Safe and predictable 12 hour mechanism
✔ Non-pharmaceutical, non-prescription and CTG monitoring not mandatory
✔ Patented hydrogel osmotic dilator made of Aquacryl®
✔ No adverse outcomes including infections reported
✔ Reduced risk of hyperstimulation
Enquire about Dilapan-S® here
What is Dilapan-S®?
Dilapan-S® is a hygroscopic osmotic dilator made from patented Aquacryl® hydrogel which guarantees predictable action. 3-5 Dilapan-S® rods are inserted in the cervical canal for 12 hours to safely and sufficiently dilate the cervix and increase the Bishop Score prior to induction of labour. Dilapan-S® has been shown to have >90% success rate1 and 70-75% vaginal delivery rate2,3 and excellent patient satisfaction1,6.
Mode of action
Dilapan-S® does not contain any pharmacological substances. The hydrogel rods absorb fluid from the cervical canal tissue, gradually increasing in size over 12 hours. Typically, 3-4 rods are placed into the cervix for IOL.
The solely mechanical dilation allows safe, predictable and efficient preparation of the cervix prior to labour, with low risk of hyperstimulation and fetal distress.
Expanding rods exert a controlled pressure on the cervical wall to help dilate the cervix
Partial and reversible osmotic dehydration of cervical cells dilates and softens the canal
Promotion of endogenous prostaglandins, causing collagen degradation and tissue restructuring
As Dilapan-S® works by osmosis, it temporarily dehydrates the cervix, resulting in the cervix remaining dilated for a prolonged period after removal (minimum 12-24 hours). This is important for ward management and situations where there is a delay until amniotomy.
- Dilapan-S® is a cost-effective option for inductions.
- Based on list prices, Dilapan-S® has been a more cost effective option for the majority of NHS hospitals that have switched to using Dilapan-S® in their inductions.
- Dilapan-S® offers large cost savings due to reduced repeat rounds, high efficacy and safety, reduced CTG monitoring, and gives the option for outpatient inductions which reduces length of hospital stay.
Other uses of Dilapan-S®
Dilapan-S® also has a range of uses in gynaecology where cervical dilation is required. For example, osmotic cervical dilation is recommended for surgical termination of pregnancy (between 14+0 and 23+6 weeks) in the NICE Guidelines (NG140). Cervical preparation with Dilapan-S® also enables easier embryo transfer during assisted reproduction and facilitates other procedures (e.g, hysteroscopy) which require access to the intrauterine cavity for insertion and removal of devices. Dilapan-S® is available in a range of sizes for different procedures.
- Dilapan-S® is supplied in boxes of 25 rods.
- Product code DS000-4X55 for IOL.
- Dilapan-S® rods are supplied sterile and individually packaged.
- The device is manufactured in an ISO 13485 Certified facility and is CE Certified under the Medical Device Directive (93/42/EEC). Dilapan is also FDA approved.